The Process

Here are photos of me installing the Hidden Stories project in Tompkins Square Park. The hardest part was crossing the fence the first time. So I jumped over the fence a few more times, just to erase the psychological boundaries that were making me nervous about crossing the fence. It worked! Once I made it into the flower garden, most people did not care that I had broken the law or crossed a boundary that we shoudlnt cross.
I found places that reminded me of human geographic places. For instance the bottom of the tree reminded me of a street corner. which prompted me to invision the meeting place of Mr. Wolf and Red Riding Hood.
Once I set up the pieces to the story, I had a distinct feeling that the space had changed. It had graciously opened up its features to embrace the story that I placed in it. I was nervous to leave the pieces behind, because I was afraid they would be stolen. But I also wanted to turn it over to the public and let people make what they wanted of it.
I chose Tompkins Square Park because it is a shared public space. The people who this park belong to are of a diverse social identity. This park is a play space for kids and a drug trade hot spot. The story of Red Riding Hood is a tales who's lesson is a warning to innocence to not be fooled by deceptive kindness. My retelling of the story was inspired by the people and the vibe of the park.

No comments: